Are you looking for ways to help further your child’s development at home? We are here to help! Kinark is offering free Brief Behavioural Consultations for families of children and youth with autism up to the age of 18.
Brief Behavioural Consultation is a service to help teach parents and caregivers individualized tips and tricks and provide resources to help you support your child or youth with autism. During up to three, one-hour sessions, parents and caregivers will meet with a clinician by phone or videoconference to discuss behaviour-based strategies to help address a specific goal. Free consultations will be offered through our secure WebEx platform by video or phone.
Families can request support for a specific need relating to their child or youth. Common goal-based topic areas may include:
- Healthy sleep and establishing a bedtime routine
- Healthy eating and expanding the variety of foods your child eats
- Preparing your child for routines and transitions
- Teaching early communication skills
- School collaboration and how to effectively collaborate with your child’s school team
- Self-care and daily living routines (supporting your child with a toothbrushing/handwashing/hair brushing routine)
- Helping your child learn self-management skills
- How to start toilet training your child
- Mental health and dealing with anxiety (offered once per week, no same day)
- Teaching your child basic safety skills
- Developing your child’s social skills
- Managing meltdowns
- Pivotal Response Treatment (PRT)
These consultations are offered free of charge.